Sunday, April 3, 2011

Kettle Moraine

   This weekend I felt compelled to get off my butt and enjoy the weather. I decided I was going to bike from my house to the Kettle Moraine mountain bike and hiking trails. Besides the initial "pukey" feeling for the first couple miles or so, and that crazy-ass dog trying to bite me and my bike, it was a good ride. Eventually I made it to the the Kettle Moraine trails, and decided to hike one. Hiking might not seem that exciting or fun to most people, but walking the trails makes me feel great. I love to hunt and I've grown up with a giant swamp and forest in my backyard, so walking the trails comes naturally to me. It is really nice just to enjoy the fresh air of the country, instead of being stuck at work or school; the feeling is almost freeing.
    The kettles are a beautiful place to explore. There are about six different trails that one can mountain bike or hike, along with the ice age trail made for hiking. Each trail has a difficulty rating, and a time average. For example, the blue trail is the hardest trail because it takes almost three hours to hike, and has very rocky terrain. Each trail is made conveniently into a loop, so people can park their cars at the start and end where they started.
   I decided to hike the white trail. It is a pretty easy trail, and takes almost an hour to hike. I really need to invest in some hiking shoes, instead of worn out skate shoes. Some of the areas have quite a bit of snow and mud, so it was tough getting through it. I never saw anybody on the trails, which was really nice.
   If you really want to "get away from it all" consider taking a trip to the kettles this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment