Sunday, March 27, 2011

Skateboarding (to me)


Since spring is (hopefully) on its way, I figured I’d write about skateboarding; something I have missed very much since the start of winter.
Skateboarding is a very important thing to me. Not only is it great exercise, but it keeps me occupied during the summer. I usually go alone because it gives me some “me time” and I can escape stress for a little while. When I’m on my board, I’m in my own world. I focus on things clearly, and I tend to be calmer when I ride.
Although skateboarding by myself is pretty fun, skating with other people is pretty cool too. I’ve gone to a few skateparks and when I see someone land a hard trick, it gives me energy to “step my game up”. I get motivated to try something hard, or try something I would normally be afraid to do. If I land something (which usually doesn’t happen all too often) it can inspire and motivate others to try other tricks.
When I skateboard I can reflect my style, personality, or mood by the way I skateboard. I usually am a loose bodied skateboarder, but when I am angry about something in my life, I usually am more aggressive with my movements or tricks. I see other skateboarders reflect themselves while on a skateboard. I can see someone is really dedicated when they get up after a hard fall, and try the same trick again. I can see someone is creative when they do something on a board that has never been done before.
 Depending on how much time and effort someone puts into skating effects what they get out of it. I have skated since my freshman year of high school. I might suck at the sport, but I have a lot of fun doing it.

1 comment:

  1. Skating would never be for me, I am too afraid of getting hurt, or worse yet, embarrassing myself! I couldn't even watch when my kids were learning skateboarding! I am better at just keeping the ice packs and bandages handy. The courage it takes to get up after a bad fall and get back on the board amazes me.

    ReplyDelete