Sunday, February 20, 2011

Can Video Games Be Useful?

While trying to think of ideas for this weeks blog, I got frustrated. Instead of punching a hole through my drywall in my room, I decided to take my "blog anger" out on video games. While killing hordes of aliens, I thought to myself, 'is this worth my time? Should I be trying to think of ideas for my blog, instead of saving the universe from impending alien doom? Do playing video games help me at all in life?' While trying to ignore my thoughts, and focus on the game, I had an epiphany. The answers to all my questions was right in front of my face. It turns out video games can be useful (sometimes)!

For me, video games can have ill-effects when played to often. I usually lose track of time, and before I know it, it is 10:00 p.m. and I have four papers to write. However, when played in moderation video games can help me quite a bit. Instead of taking anger out on real people or things, I take it out on aliens, zombies, cars, or anything else video games have to offer. 

If people play the right video games, they could learn to make decisions faster. For example, if someone where to play a fast-paced video game, they would be forced to make quick decisions. A fast-paced video game could also help with hand-eye coordination as well. If ravenous zombies where coming after you, you would have to press the right buttons fast enough, otherwise you would be eaten.

Some video games are designed to teach children. Because video games are a great form of entertainment, they can keep kids hooked on certain subjects.

While I may procrastinate a lot using video games, they have helped in certain situations (this blog being one of them).

1 comment:

  1. I do agreed with you. Playing the Nintendo's Wii, always put anger at ease. But then when I realized time flew by like 2 to 3 hrs, so yep time management on video game are tough, just so addicted to it!!

    ReplyDelete